Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where has the time gone?

Its March 24.  The twenty-fourth day of March.  The third month of the year.

Its practically Christmas!


Wow, 22 days since my last post. My bad, y'all.  Not much has been crossed off my to-bake list, but there was one significant accomplishment in my culinary quest this past week.  Ready for this!? I won a baking contest! Well, not so much a baking contest as bringing chocolate chip cookies into my Assessment class and owning the competition 17 first place votes to the runner-up's 7. Sometimes it pays to be an elementary education major... sittin' in class all day... eatin' cookies... drinkin' milk... AHHHhhhh :)

Hold on... *smack*

I had to wake myself up. Its midterm season, y'all. Its crunch time in kindergarten (which is the grade I student-teach... yes, it is as much fun as it sounds.) That means a even more of a baking hiatus! :(
Luckily, I have a few reasons to bake coming up.  I have cousins coming into town and road trips to be had and I will be posting about them (and the things I bake/cook) for sure!

But hey, here's the recipe for Alton Brown's "The Chewy."  It won't let you down.  My only tip is to really make sure the dough chills or you'll have some serious cookie spread on your hands, figuratively speaking.  I've made the recipe twice.  The first time I chilled the dough for about 30 minutes (because I thought that was enough, silly me) and the cookies spread big time.  The second time I made them, I refrigerated the dough over night and lo and behold, perfect, award winning cookies! Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

New and Improved To-Bake List:
Everything from my new cookbook, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking
Blackberry scones with orange icing
More of "The Chewy"
And a birthday cake for my mom!

We'll see how that goes.


P.S. Remind me to tell/show you the cutest carrot cake ever made next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment